home about me our story lincs i love contact me sponsors

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

fear.

"Fear.  It's part of human nature, but it's not something we got from God.  Second Timothy 1:7 says: 'For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind,'  When I imagine God creating each one of us and planting a purpose deep in our hearts, I never imagine that purpose being mediocrity.  While the Bible doesn't tell every person on earth specifically what his or her life's calling will be, it does include a lot of general direction:

'Your are to find me in the least of these.' Yes.
"You are to leave your earthly possessions and come follow me."  Yes.
"You are to love and serve the Lord God with all your heart and love your neighbor as yourself." Yes.
"You are to go and make disciples of all nations." Yes
"You are to entertain strangers and lepers and tax collectors." Yes.
"You are to show mercy." Yes.
"You are to live a life of mediocrity and abundance, holding one tight to your comfortable lifestyle, lest you lose it." NO.

I don't think so. 'Mediocrity and abundance' aren't there.  However, mediocrity and abundance, comfort and ease, do seem to be safe choices for many people, myself included.  In stark contrast, leaving our possessions, following Jesus when we don't have a well-defined plan, and entertaining strangers--well, that does sound a little scary.  But what if, just beyond that risk, just beyond the fear is a life better than anything we have ever imagined: life to the fullest."


-Katie Davis "Kisses From Katie" pg. 100-101

How often do I find myself in that state of fear.  I fear leaving my comfort zone and stepping out.  It's the fear of the unknown of what's out there waiting for me.  Just waiting for me to take that step out of my easy life.  The life of mediocrity and abundance is safe.  It's easy.  It's the nice way to coast through life.  Sure I can fill my life with "things."  Stuff our world says is important.  It's comfortable to fall into the groove of following what everyone is doing or "keeping up with the Jones'."  It's so easy to get sucked into that.

It's stepping out of that easy route and taking the narrow path that God has designed for those who love Him.

13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.
-Matthew 7:13-14

I get so wrapped up sometimes in trying to figure out my life and put all the puzzle pieces together myself that I completely shut God out.  It's like I think I don't need to bother him with the petty little details of my life.  So I'll just figure it out.  That's when I get sucked into the worldy things.  But what I don't know is that just beyond the fear of stepping out of my comfort zone, God is waiting for me.  Waiting for me to give it all to Him.  He has amazing stuff planned.  A life BETTER than anything I could plan for myself.  BETTER than all the stuff this world wants to clutter our lives with.  BETTER than mediocrity.  Life to the Fullest...

 "...I have come that they may have life,and have it to the full."
John 10:10



2 comments:

  1. My favorite line is, God is waiting for me. It is a hard concept to grasp that He is ALWAYS waiting, right there. I am in a season of wanting to know everything about our future...wanting to know about my job, babies, what our lives will be like and I think it's all fear of uncertainty. I am praying for peace and giving it to Him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this and it is so timely for me...today I've been worrying about our adoption although domestic, will we be prepared, can we fully fund it ourselves.. with traveling and all the legal fees. I needed this post... thank you!

    ReplyDelete